Friday, November 12, 2010

Fall In Virginia











It is November 12th and the kids are still having a hard time getting it through their heads that even though it is sunny out, it is freezing cold. We keep telling them we are not in Arizona anymore. Maddy is better about it because she has school recess to remind her she better dress warmly. Peyton on the other hand is a different story. He doesn't want to wear socks or a coat and when he is inside he strips to his skivies.

We have had our first leaf pile, leaf peeping expeditions, several trips into DC,fall food, bought more long sleeve shirts and proper winter coats and have the heat on (at night). Now all they are waiting for is snow!

Overall, I would say we are happy and content right now. Matt and I both miss the Arizona sun and all of our dear friends. The kids will tell us that, too - that they want to go back to mom's other house. It hurts to hear that sometimes but we try to make it a teaching moment and talk about opportunities and new experiences. Will we ever go back? I doubt it, but stranger things have happened to us. I doubt we will stay here for very long either. As long as we are together.

The hardest part for me is the loneliness. What I wouldn't do to see my friends to talk about everything! I am greatful for Facebook and email, but once someone is not in your life everyday, that connection starts to fade - at no one's fault but distance and time apart.

I am learning to like not working, for the moment. I still have weekly struggles with it. Part of me feels like I am wasting my talents yet the other part is greatful for the time I have with the kids. I can be a mom - take Maddy to school, get groceries during the week-not the weekend, stay home and do nothing, take Peyton on adventures, make our home comfortable and loving and take better care of my own health. But I will always struggle with it. Beginning my masters in psychology is giving me an outlet though and I am greatful for that, despite the tuition.

Enjoy some of these pictures from fall in Virginia.

1 comment:

Our Fam said...

Oh the struggles of a stay at home mom.... And some people thinks its an easy life. FAR from it. Love ya girl, miss ya. Stay in touch, LOVE the pics!! Enjoy the snow, wish you could send some here for us to play in ; ) Talk to you soon.